Thursday, August 2, 2007

Mr. Bluelight

I've become less enchanted with the product offerings and service at Kmart over the years. It was a great place in the late 70's and early 80's but there has been less and less reason for me to take the trouble to visit Kmart stores these days.

I thought things were on an upswing recently but I'm totally put off by the new commercials starring Mr. Bluelight. Whether he is leering at runway models, or driving a school bus and classifying the girls as pretty and the boys as smart, the character is sleazy and blatantly sexist and frankly makes me uncomfortable. It isn't much better when he is trying to talk the lady into buying a TV in hopes she will receive diamonds from a grateful husband. Eeewwwwww.

I really think Kmart and Sears need to rethink their advertising strategy. Around here there is way too much competition and I can avoid going to Kmart completely....easily!

I have to say however, some of the Hillshire Farms Go Meat commercials make me grin every time. :-D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a lot of negative personality to assign to a talking lightbulb. And I didn't see him leering at any of the runway models... but perhaps you have HDTV and can see it better. ;)

But I do agree with you that their stuff has been getting better - I'm a huge Martha fan and her stuff is great. A lot of her summer stff was on clearance this week and it was a steal.

Real Simple has some great stuff, too, at Target. And I think their ads are getting just plain stupid. They had that stupid "Target Dog" but now he is gone and it seems they are just people dancing around with soap dispensers. I liked the ads they had before when they would have products lining up and creating cool motions with them.