Thursday, June 13, 2013

Yogurt?

On Tuesday morning I hosted one of my quilting bees at the house.  We had a great time.  Mom showed off the baby wall hanging she just finished.  I always have the camera with me and then I forget to use it, so that's the only photo I took.  Crazy, I know.
  

The "square foot" gardens are still growing things.  Some stuff grows more happily than others.  It feels like a Big Experiment.  Yesterday, I was excited to serve our first cucumber of the season.  I have a feeling we will have the opportunity to be very tired of them before the summer ends.  :-)


It's too hot for lettuce now and none of the tomatoes have ripened yet, but at least something is from our own little plot.


This dark photo is of Charlie's covered cage.  He completely surprised me yesterday by saying "goodnight" as I covered him up!


Outdoors the bluebirds have built a second nest and there are four eggs.  They do this every year but nothing ever comes of it.  I suspect it just gets too hot.  The heat index was 100F today so I might be right.  We should put up another box in a shadier spot.


Today was a Do Things At Home Day.  This morning I said how about now and picked up the annoying and large pile of fabric scraps off the floor from in front of The Tramp's desk.  The white basket had long ago overflowed and disappeared from sight, and walking and vacuuming around the pile was getting more and more aggravating....to say nothing of how much dog hair was probably mixing in!  I figured I'd better do something about it before it started to compost.  :-p


My plan is to one day make the Omigosh! quilt (third picture down in that link).  To that end I need to cut masses of 1" strips.   So here is the start of that project bin.


I tossed other size strips into their appropriate bins.


Also in the scrap pile was a whole lot of end-cuts from the mitered borders of t-shirt quilts.  I ironed and stacked the pieces for future use and need to get the right sized bin so they don't end up in a wrinkled heap again.


Mid-afternoon the emergency weather radio started blaring watches and warnings.  It was still sunny and hot here.


But it didn't take long for the weather to arrive from the west (from behind the house).  Watching out the front window it was sort of like someone pulling a blanket over the house.


Charlie spent most of the day carrying on louder than usual.  He was clearly unsettled by something. I wonder if it was the weather?


The rains came.


And the wind blew.  The trees were whipping madly and we quickly retreated inside.



Thunder rolled and we could hear sirens off and on.  When the rain stopped the temperature had dropped over 20F (!) and mist rose from the pond for a long time.


The birds rushed back to the feeders like it was going to be their last meal.  Lots of house finches,  mourning doves, confused cardinals in various stages of juvenility, woodpeckers, the bluebirds and their young brood and a host of others.....including the squirrel family.


Over the last couple of hours we've discovered how fortunate we are.  Various of The Tramp's co-workers have reported that they are dealing with power outages and downed trees.  There is news of widespread damage.  Lots of amazing images too.

And lastly.  Just in case you were wondering if dogs like Greek yogurt....

Whoops!  They moved.  All three of them had their noses and tongues shoved in that little container at the same time.


Yes Ivy, I'm taking your picture.  :-)




1 comment:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Glad to hear you are safe!! I think it's interesting how the animals both in and out knew something was up...they must feel a change in air pressure or something.