Sunday, July 27, 2014

Joys

Busy summers days, with plenty of joys sprinkled throughout to make up for any stress and frustrations.  We're pleased to report no new phone calls from The Sailor Son on his way to the emergency room.  (Yay!)  We are also very pleased to announce a brand new grandson!  Woot!  Rocky and Magenta have a new brother.  Indeed a joy.  :-)



ED and I spotted a little joy by the pond yesterday.  We only had our cell phones but managed to get a few photos while I rolled the car by as quietly as I could in order not to disturb it.  A neighbor tells me it is a green heron and has been around before.  I need to keep my eyes open then!


Last weekend I made a list and we puttered around The Sandbox finishing some overdue projects.  In between messing with his NAS device and replacing the annoying beeping UPS battery, The Tramp helped me raise my cutting table up on bed risers.  Finally!  I've been talking about it for years and we just never got around to it.  It's taking some getting used to but overall I really like the added three inches.  My back and neck are certainly happier.


Oh!  Another joy.  Mom finished her quilt top.  I added the borders for her then she gave the whole thing back to me.  How about that!  The center of the quilt is lovely, but I have to confess I really don't care for the border fabric.  (It was a kit.) If I'm going to spend some quality time doing some quality quilting on this top I think I'll take the time to change the outer border first.  Well anyway, it's going to have to go in the pile to wait it's turn.  :-)


The african violet window makes The Sandbox a lovelier spot to spend time in.  I repotted the plants a second time, properly I hope and they seem to be happier.  We also put up the valances that have been sitting in a corner for two years or so.  


Now the ugly traverse rod is covered.  :-)  We need the drapes in this window to keep the afternoon sun from cooking us and shining in our eyes.  


I've also been working with Mom on a baby quilt for my cousin in Florida.  We bought a kit at the recent Sewing Expo in Raleigh thinking the bright sea creatures theme would be fun for a Florida baby.  Mom is doing the applique and I'm making all the yoyos.  After a few false starts for both of us we seem to be moving along just fine now.  Oh joy.  :-)


The Viking does his best to bring us lots of joyful moments.  Lunch with Nanny.


Walking with Papa.  And we go fully outfitted--in his flashing sneakers, monkey backpack holding his "carz,", one of my bracelets (of course), and clutching his puppy.


Wearing his "eyes" for indoor play.


Of course, Nini!  :-)


Someone gets lots of joy from dressing up!


And had to phone us to say she'd built the tallest tower in Disney!!!  :-D


We had a nice quiet day today.  The lawns were mowed by The Tramp (a very hot job) while I puttered inside (a nice cool job).  A pleasant trip to the library with Dad, after which he treated us to a tasty pizza lunch.  We both succumbed to a long afternoon nap, but then I was nice and refreshed for a bit of evening sewing.  I needed a zip bag to go in the tote with my crochet project so I got out my little duffle bag pattern.  It's pink on the inside.


With a dinner break of cool canteloupe and peaches with doctored up sour cream.  Yum!  Funny thing about going to the farmers market.  If you buy it, you'd better eat it!  :-)


And purple on the outside.   Cute.   Not overly practical for the intended use, I've decided, but oh well, that's just an excuse to make a different bag.  I don't see a problem.  Do you?  :-)


This is the crochet projet.  This picture is from the tutorial, I've chosed different colors for my kitchen.  I've got five flowers done and a half flower.  It seems to be one of those projects that will look better once I get further on.  At least that's my story for now.  lol

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Congratulations on the very cute new addition. It seems like you got a lot done. I love your little bag. The fabric is really cute. Nifty idea for the kitchen curtain. Are you using cotton yarn or what?