Thursday, April 7, 2016

Long and stretchy

Our lawnmower died and the new one finally arrived yesterday.  When your lawn looks as ratty as ours does this is an exciting moment!


The Viking was in rare form today.  You never know what's going to come out of his mouth.  He stood there for a while considering the blocks on my design wall, then announced critically, "Nini, that isn't very right."  Geez.  They start young!


We did a bit of shopping with Nanny, then joined Nanny and Papa for lunch.  You might notice he is carrying a plastic boat.  Earlier this morning all The Viking talked about was going to the beach.  These days most of his questions include the word "why," or the statement, "no it isn't."  My trying to be the voice of reason cuts no ice with him.  Here is a much edited version of our conversation.  :-)

"I want to go to the beach!"
"We can't go while it's so dark and rainy."
"Why? I have to go to the beach!"
"It's too cold today."
"No it isn't.  I like to be cold."
"We have to wait for summer."
"Why?  It is summer."
"It's still spring sweetie."
"No it isn't."
"We have to wait for hot weather."
"Why?  I don't want to." 
"Sorry baby, we're not going to the beach today."
"Why?"
(through gritted teeth) "It's not warm enough."
"But I need my boat!"
(oh good grief!) "It's put away in the big bag with the sand toys, in the garage."
"No it isn't.  I want it."
"Well how do you ask?"
"Please.  I need it!"
"Ok.  I'll see if I can find where Grumpy put it."
"Why?"
(sigh)


Lucky me, the boat was within my reach.  He was so delighted he ran up to everyone we passed in the retirement community to show it to them, telling several, "Nini found it. It was easy!"  Of course he ate lunch with the boat too.  This is the look I got when I asked if I could take a picture of his gorgeous blue eyes.  :-)


We sat down by the pond for a little while this afternoon as it turned into a beautiful day.  Sun, pretty clouds, and a lovely breeze with a few strong gusts.  A kingfisher chattered and dived.  The koi were milling around.  Turtles bobbed up to look at us.  Some crows squabbled back and forth.  The great blue heron fished.  Mother Goose sat on her nest nearby and Father Goose swam over to watch us closely.  One of the larger turtles came up to see if we had any handouts.


And The Viking observed, "The wind is long and stretchy today."  Indeed it was!


No sewing to show as the immediate projects are gifts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie aren't the grandies so much fun and they come out with the funniest things,you little munkins is very cute,enjoy your day my friend xx