Sunday, November 9, 2008

A new era?

Not yet anyway. Just when I think we've made progress I see something that shoots that idea down like a rocket. I just saw a TV commercial for One A Day Teen Advantage multivitamins. "For her healthy skin and his healthy muscle function." Yes they really did say that! GAG! The subliminal message is of course, once again, that girls are decorative and boys are functional. And according to the website these are the "top health concerns of moms and teens." Oh really?

On doing some quick internet research, I find I'm not the only one upset by this commercial. I have no issue with the differences between male and female...at any age. Each of us needs what is appropriate for our physiology. But couldn't they have come up with better hype for a product aimed at teens? Their web page isn't much better. Bayer should be ashamed.

8 comments:

Candace said...

The ones that used to really irritate me were the beer commercials with the guys out surfing or skiing and having fun, and the adoring hotties in their bikinis waving bar-b-q and beer at them from the beach. Gag.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Oh my....thankfully we haven't got that one over here!

trash said...

That is some crazy advertising! Maybe if they get enough complaints they will pull it?

I'm blog-hopping my way through Chookyblue's SSCS list to see who else is playing along.

Twisted Quilts said...

Things like that make me so angry. Do they not realize what this does to young girls?

Lynn said...

I wonder who was in charge of this advertising/packaging? That sure sends the wrong message.

meggie said...

I have not seen that. You are right, Bayer should be ashamed. Vote with your dollar, don't buy their products.

Poyla said...

Sex sells. Probably better than their original choice of "For his money making muscles and her pregnant in the kitchen skin!"
You know what if there is a section of completely out of touch and dated ad men I rather them be selling aspirin than selling something kids actual give a crap about.

Tanya said...

We've got some really bad ones here in Japan. I think they'd get called on the carpet in the States. Nuns dancing in mini-skirts...