Friday, February 8, 2008

It's a purple day

I am here to say....unequivocally....wash your fabrics before you use them. Ask me how I know....sigh. Somewhere in the process of the current project (wall hanging) I missed washing the purple for the borders. OMG!

Finally, this evening, the binding was on (this is a WISP...since November anyway). I was rinsing out the water soluble markings in the powder room sink and the water was turning purple. Oh, oh! I kept on rinsing and ended up with a side of the item hanging over the edge of the counter. This powder room was a dressing room for the photo studio previously here, so it has light beige carpet on the floor. Yep. You guessed it! When I looked down to see if I had stained my clothes, it looked like someone (me) had poured blueberry juice on the carpet. Sigh.

So the wall hanging is in the washing machine with several color catchers and we'll see if we can salvage it. If so, I may post a photo. Right now it isn't one of my favorite items. Grrrrr.....

8 comments:

meggie said...

Don't you just hate that! I learnt a long time ago, & now wash everything, almost as soon as I get it.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

oh no! I haven't had that problem yet thankfully, but one fabric shrinking and another not taught me the same lesson.

Pam said...

Oh goodness - how terrible! I have gotten a bit lazy lately and haven't been washing everything before I use it. I hope the purple comes out okay.

Cheryl said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I have had that happen!

Thimbleanna said...

Uh-oh. Sounds like my red tree skirt problem. Color catchers (and repeated washings) worked for me, so I have high hopes for you!

Anonymous said...

Retayne, it's a product that i've always used...NEVER had a problem and i NEVER pre-wash...go figure.
Use it the first time you wash the quilt.

Anonymous said...

i'm from xanga by the way...i think it was jaz that told me about you. i am a crazy quilter lady too. BIG TIME.
www.xanga.com/curlyquilter

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Ugh, that's horrible. I do hope that you were able to fix it. I keep forgetting to wash all my fabrics before I put them away in my stash. But when I get ready to make things I'll throw all the fabrics in the wash. One of these days I may just go ahead and wash all of my stash and get it over and done with. :-)