Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Beanies



Just so there is a mention of sewing today, the treadle machine on the left very recently came to live at our House on The Pond. It is a Singer and is one of the model 15s. I just haven't figured out which one. :-)

Not that I'm complaining, but this living with a parrot is very....interesting. I'm determined to make him comfortable and happy, well fed and well trained. To make him comfortable, he now has a new cage! We bought it on Craigslist from a pleasant young man who was moving and had no space for it. Yesterday (after I took this picture) we took the legs off the cage and it's now sitting on top of the dog crate. A much better use of space!

In this photo he's working his way through some Cheerios on a string and the crumbs are landing like snow on Ivy's back. :-) Parrots are messy but happily the dogs take care of most of what falls on the floor!


Feeding Charlie has been a challenge. He's pretty picky and I haven't got him on a full pellet diet yet. A complete seed diet is very bad for caged birds so I'm working through all the healthy alternatives. I've been baking pellets into birdy cookies and birdy bread in the form of corn muffins and I'm trying hard to get him to eat his fruits and veggies. It's about as easy as getting green stuff into The Tramp. Sigh. Yesterday I was browsing for recipes again and I discovered Parrot Nation and became very interested how she feeds her birds. So today I decided to embrace her methods and make what she calls Teenie Weenie Beanies. Not so teenie. Let me show you.

Today I went to three markets for ingredients. Good grief!

Patricia shows how to make a huge batch of the stuff and she does the final mixing in her bathtub! I wasn't so sure I wanted to do that so I scouted around the house for an alternative and found an empty plastic bin. Of course I had to take it up to the bathtub to get it nice and clean. :-p


I finally got the prep done and was at the mixing stage after dinner. I made a grand mess of the kitchen. Some went in fresh and some had to be cooked. My food processor earned it's keep!

I think this is a complete list of everything that went into the bin. Flax seed, millet, sesame seed, broccoli slaw, yellow squash, zucchini, red kuri squash, carrot, sweet potato, dandelion greens, cilantro, parsley, barley, red cabbage, okra, green beans, corn, quinoa, dried corn (boiled popcorn), parsnip, turnip, whole wheat pasta, 15 bean mix, lentils, garlic, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, orange bell pepper, poblano pepper, ginger root, oatmeal and brown rice. Phew!

After the bin is full (or all the pots, pans, packages and bowls spread all over the kitchen are empty) you roll up your sleeves and dive in and mix it. It actually smells really really good.


The last part is spooning it into plastic bags for the freezer. I filled almost 200 of the suckers. Urg! We lugged the bin into the living room in front of the TV and I set to work. After a while my fingers hurt from zipping the bags and I had to ask The Tramp to come down and help me finish. (love you honey)


The small bags filled six gallon freezer bags and at one a day it's going to last us a long time. Thank goodness!


It looks as good as it smells. So colorful. And it's tasty too! Just needs a little salt for my taste. The dogs were underfoot during the whole cooking process. I make stew for them so I suppose they thought they were going to get something when I was done. The Tramp gave each of them a bit in their dinner bowl and they loved it! Go figure.


The Tramp thinks I'm nuts. He also knows I'm not a particularly willing cook. So let's hope Charlie really likes it!

1 comment:

Patricia Sund said...

I'm so glad it worked out for you, Katie! You're really going to love it when you don't have to make bean mix for oh, about a year! It's also seriously good for your bird. Thanks for stopping by "Parrot Nation" and come back again. You might want to check out my recipe for "Chop."
Patricia