Monday, September 29, 2008

Stash Dashing with friends

On Friday and Saturday I did the Heart of Carolina Stash Dash with some wonderful new friends, K and P. We had a great time! The route took us all the way from Carrboro (an hour northwest) to Wake Forest (an hour north) to Selma (an hour southeast). We did most of our dashing on Friday and saved the trip to Selma for Saturday. K took us to a wonderful little German restaurant in Selma too. Very, very good! K was the driver (bless her) and P was my fabric spotter. I told her what I was looking for and she spotted it in every shop. What a gift! Me, I was overwhelmed most of the time and always the last to checkout at each store. They were so patient with me! :-)

The theme for this year was "Home is Where Your Heart Is" and each shop featured a quilt and gave away a block pattern in the theme. (I took all the photos with my cell phone so some are a little dark.) We also won door prizes at several stores but I've forgotten who won what at which store! LOL

This is at Etc. Crafts in Cary.


Etc. Crafts also had the Capital Quilters Guild Opportunity Quilt displayed on the front porch.


We are hosting the North Carolina Quilt Symposium, in May, at Peace College, and this is the raffle quilt. Wanna buy a ticket??? It's gorgeous! :-D


The Dog House quilt was at Elegant Stitches in Cary. Cute, cute, cute.


Elegant Stitches is located in the Waverly Place shopping center. I've got to give them a huge amount of credit for hanging on in this nearly empty shopping center. The most recent newspaper article doesn't point any fingers directly, but it's truly been a shame how many businesses have had to move to less ideal locations or been put completely out of business by this mess. :-( The most recent casualty was Flame Kissed Beads. Very sad. I wonder what's really going to happen next.


On a brighter note! The next stop was Thimble Pleasures in Carrboro. Too far for me to go regularly but what a nice store!!! This is their house quilt.


By then we were gasping for lunch. We splurged our calorie allotments on burgers at Red Robin. Yum! I had a really nice fish sandwich with slippery insides that I managed to spill all down my front in spectacular fashion! You can count on me!!! LOL The shop after lunch was Quilts Like Crazy in Wake Forest. Their quilt was bird houses.


Then back down into Raleigh to Carolina Sew 'n Vac where we received the light house pattern. Thank goodness the stores have their names on the patterns. Otherwise, it was such a long day I'd have no clue where we saw what!


The pretty Victorian houses were at Sew Unique in Raleigh. We were given the pattern for the blue house.

The fun house quilt at Bernina World of Sewing in Raleigh made me think of Whoville. :-)



So after an exhausting Friday we started much later on Saturday and drove down to Selma. This lovely quilt was the offering at Whistle Stop Quilt Shop.

Just to the right you can see her concept drawing. They sell kits of the quilt but I'm hoping she's going to sell just the pattern one of these days. Then I can have the fun of slowly collecting the fabrics. For me that's a major part of the fun. I sure collected a few this weekend!

We had lunch around the corner at the Edelweiss Bakery & Cafe. YUM. Apparently they hosted an Oktoberfest and street festival a few weeks ago. I'm sorry I missed it! The town is full of antique shops and I couldn't resist a photo of the front window of this one. Looky who's been spotted in Selma!


Ok...sigh. I guess I've milked my Stash Dash recovery time long enough. Time to get to work with a paint brush. It's a lovely day though. :-)


5 comments:

Ruthie said...

What a great assortment of house quilts!

meggie said...

What a fabulous time you have had! Some great patterns too.

Juryizstillout said...

I would have loved that trip! Glad you all had fun!

ZebulonMom said...

I am so happy to see your photos of the quilt shop quilts. This is the first time I "dashed." Next year I will remember my camera!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great day out, thanks for sharing all the photos and the raffle quilt look wonderful.

cheers
Christine