Thursday, September 12, 2013

Changes

Life waits for no one.  I suppose it's a function of growing older, but I have many people to pray for these days, both happy and worrisome.  

However difficult some issues are, there are also some pleasing things that never change.  Animals/pets are wonderfully comforting, they are so predictable.  Did you know dogs like parrot food?  More than you can imagine!  In this photo Charlie is enjoying a Nutri-Berries treat and Maisy is standing absolutely still staring at the floor in hopes of falling bits.   Funny dog.  The only surprise is Ivy isn't there with her.  :-)


The Sailor Son has passed his test and purchased a motorcycle.  Hmmmmm.   Not a change I have to like.


Is is nice he's been getting involved in 5K runs.  Clearly he had some fun at this Neon Vibe run!


They let him in a store like that!  lol


This handsome t-shirt quilt went out the door recently.


Then I was able to get ready for my rail trip to New Jersey on Amtrak.  Business class is very comfortable, which is good as it's a ten hour ride.  I had a pleasantly chatty seat-mate for half the trip then I had the two seats to myself.


In New Jersey I was treated to lunch with old friends.  What fun to catch up on all their changes!


I stayed at Stardust's house.  She is two going on twenty.  Such a busy little girl.  :-)  We had lots of fun playing, dancing, drawing, showing me her iPod games....


and snuggling before bed.  My talented SIL recently illustrated a new children's book about a character called NiNi, so my grandmotherly name has morphed from Mimi to Nini.  It's fun when the children sort out the name thing for you.  :-)


The trip to New Jersey was to help out ED and LZF with their move to North Carolina.  Talk about a change!  Lots of very hard work, but the truck finally got filled to the rafters.  When all was said and done they were lucky to get the door closed!  


I rode back to NC with ED, The Viking and the dogs.  Patrick is not a happy traveler so he spent the whole long ride drooling between the seats onto my knees.  At the first rest stop we stopped and dug out a towel to protect my jeans from getting soaked!  (yes, he's wearing a doggy seatbelt)


The Viking was a good traveler.  He slept, ate, we played and he suffered only one meltdown.  Not bad on a twelve hour trip!


We are so lucky to have fabulous friends in West Virginia who opened up their house to us on the strength of a last minute phone call.  We had a wonderful break while the baby crawled around, the dogs made friends, and ED and I were fed.  Such good friends should be visited more often, don't you think?


Once the cars, trailer and truck had arrived, and been unloaded the next day, Mom and Dad treated us all to a dinner at Golden Corral.  It was life saving!  :-)


The Other House is happy to have new occupants....despite the fact we've had the HVAC people out three times and the plumber once already (that never changes....sigh).  My former sewing room turns out to be a perfect baby playroom.  Even the outlets are up out of his reach at that end of the room.  


As we all get better acquainted, we now know The Viking loves the wind in his hair.  :-)


I guessed that ED would enjoy Zentagling so right away I dragged her off to Cary Quilting Co. for a class.  I think she's hooked!


These huge caterpillars have taken up residence in our neglected vegetable garden and have decimated the parsley and such.  I'm hoping they get the opportunity to change into something beautiful.


I've been "assigned" my grandmother equipment, a car seat and stroller.  I tested the stroller out on Saturday with a walk to the park, a change from walking the dog.


We followed the Yellow Brick Road.


And apparently it was so exciting it zonked us out.  :-)


I've also been promoted to nap mat.


And witnessed lots of happy activity.


And he WALKS!  Much like a drunken sailor still, but it's walking.  I didn't catch a pic of him coming towards me.  lol


Family dinners are becoming the norm.  A nice change.  Isn't it fun to be fed by a great-grandmother!  Mom started taking care of babies in the wartime nurseries in London when she was 14 years old, and came to this country as a nanny.   Our very own Mary Poppins!   She does have a lot to share.



Change is non-stop with wee folk.  Every day is an adventure.  Apparently yesterday was the first bubble bath.  What will it be today??


The Evil Step-daughter and her family also moved house over last weekend.  I'm hoping their internet connection will be up soon so we can see how they are enjoying their changes.

One more memory quilt top done and delivered yesterday.  Almost all the memory and t-shirt quilts signify a significant change for an individual or family.  Some happy and some sad.  It's an interesting business to be in.


Both of my bees met this week which reminded me how much of my own sewing is waiting to be done.  Hmmmmm.   Vacuuming first, then I think I can easily find a project to stitch on.  :-)

3 comments:

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

What a darling baby! Sounds like you had quite the adventure in moving. Here's to mostly good changes in life as opposed to those that we don't like. Cheers!

Nancy said...

You have been a busy lady. So glad you are enjoying family time.

Bonnie said...

Wonderful things happening in your life. How fun to have a grand close by. Get to your own sewing lady! You deserve it after all that is happening with you!