Sunday, September 23, 2012

On needing my head examined......

It's been a busy weekend, in and out of The Sandbox.  Block #2 of the wool applique BOM is almost finished.


Blocks #3 are fused and waiting to be stitched.


I'm still working on the set of four memory quilts.  Two are done and delivered to Julianne.  The blue/pink/grey one.


And the green one.

The third one, in "boy colors," just needs it's borders.


And number four is slowly coming together on the design wall.  I have to make 50 of those large wonky triangles so it's taking a while.


So it's still chaos in here with clothing draped all over.  :-)


On Friday morning at the crack of dawn we had an early appointment for our flu shots.  We also opted for the Tdap (tetanus/pertussis) vaccine which meant two sore arms each.  The rest of Friday was pleasant enough (if you don't count the sore arms!).  :-)

Saturday morning started early with a sick dog.  Poor Ngaire.  And began a day of cleaning of carpet, floor and stairs.  Ugh.  She looked so sick I was afraid to leave her alone.  So we cooked up a big batch of rice and eggs for her and hoped for the best.  I'm pleased to report that today is a sooo much better day for her, and for us!  Yesterday was also baking day and while I was mixing up g-f breads I suddenly got the hair-brained idea that right now was the time for us to paint the powder room and hallways.  To my mind, the color is a very sickly yellow and it's hugely depressing for both of us.  The Tramp, to his peril, agreed.

Apparently other family members had the same idea this week.  I wish Stardust had been here to choose our colors!  :-)


Of course deciding to paint the walls means deciding to paint the evil yellowed popcorn ceiling.  Then since we hate the orangey stained woodwork it seemed smart to just do that too.  So the simple painting of walls got much more complicated.  It's the way I roll!  (Send The Tramp a sympathy card.) 


The powder room walls (shudder) can't wait to be painted!


The dogs, due to illness, and our desire not to get black dog hair all over the new paint, were stuck hanging out with Charlie in the kitchen and on the porch.


I'm usually a pretty good painter but I just couldn't get it together yesterday.  Almost first thing, I stepped off the stool into the paint tray which flipped it and splashed paint down my leg, all over my feet and flip flops, on the baseboard and worse...a sizable puddle on the wood floor.  Yikes!  How do you get down the hall and across the kitchen to the sink with dripping painted feet?  Very quickly!  Haul each foot up into the sink to wash it and wipe the side of my jeans, all the while worrying about the floor.  Grab the closest (pink plastic popcorn) bowl for water and the closest (dish) sponge and wipe my way back to the puddle.  It took four big bowls of water but I got the paint up.  Phew!  And dragged the canvas drop cloth with it's big puddle of paint outside and lay it out to dry.  The poor Tramp.  He came home from a trip to buy more drop cloths (how ironic) and found me sitting on the front porch trying not to cry.

Today was much better.  I only spilled milk this morning at breakfast.  :-)  Painting always goes better with M&Ms.  I should have remembered that sooner!


We are painting everything white.  The ugly job of painting the popcorn ceilings is done.  Some of the first coat of wall paint and first coat of primer on the woodwork is done.  We are already excited by how much brighter the hallway is.


Still much to do.  Belatedly, I realized I have nine doors to paint.  The front door, three closet doors, three bedroom doors and two bathroom doors, one of them both sides.  Groan.  I'm so glad we had previously removed the kitchen, laundry and bonus room doors.  And I should be grateful there are no windows this time around!  :-)


We have to keep reminding ourselves the bannister is not there!


I suspect I'd really rather be in the park playing with Stardust in the woodchips.


Or even watching TV with the dogs.


C'est la vie.  :-)

1 comment:

Ivory Spring said...

I do love your wool applique project.