Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Catching up!

Like everyone else I've been busy getting ready for the holidays. We were lucky to have the Sailor Son and GS1 come for an overnight stay for Thanksgiving. We missed seeing DIL since her doctors told her not to travel. The birth of GS2 is getting close!

We had wonderful grandparent and great-grandparent time! He enjoyed the toys, the dogs...and the laundry!


Most of what I've been sewing I can't show. But I did whip up a log carrier for The Tramp, and a little case for the new Magellan out of some orphan crumb blocks.


On Thanksgiving weekend I was perusing Craigslist and guess what I found? Not one, but three treadle machines to go look at! Usually they are spoken for almost the minute they're listed. But not on the holiday weekend. Lucky me. I've been to see a few that were in terrible shape, despite the sellers' claims. It's amazing what people think is valuable. The vast majority aren't being dishonest, just clueless. They have no concept that warp, rust, and missing parts do not add up to a "working" sewing machine...sigh. All they know is that it's "old" and belonged to grandma.

Anyway, all three people answered this time. I checked my email on my phone while we were out and about and we detoured to see one of the machines. And I have an early Christmas present! The gentleman was charming and the machine is very nice indeed! I'm looking forward to taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning and shining up. *happy dance*

Preliminary research tells me it's a Singer 66 Treadle with Filigree decals in a treadle cabinet #2. The serial number indicates it was manufactured in Elizabethport, NJ in 1927. Very cool!

9 comments:

Twisted Quilts said...

My grandmother who quilted had a treadle machine and I wanted it but my cousin got it. You are very fortunate to find one. What a precious grandson, they are so much fun!

Stephanie D said...

That machine is gorgeous! My husband's aunt, who raised him, had a treadle machine but I don't know what happened to it when she died. Her husband and her son-in-law were both a little short on brains and very paranoid (probably some dementia there) and when they both died, the place was condemned, it was so bad. One of them probably sold it.

Cute grandson!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Glad you got some grandma time over Thanksgiving. And congrats on the great treadle machine. I have almost the same cabinet, but with only two drawers. My DIL's mom gave it to me when she moved to a condo. I found out that she still has the machine that was in it. Might have to make her an offer. Yours is gorgeous!

meggie said...

Wow, nice find! Looks to be a lovely old lady machine.

Tine said...

Thats a beautiful machine!! And how exciting that your second grandchild is almost here! Almost as in maybe during the holidays??

Eileen said...

Your new sewing machine is beautiful! I hope you can get her all shined up.

Lorraine said...

Very cool indeed.....what a find! I have one treadle machine which I bought some years ago....and having lots of other girls in the extended family didn't get a look in when it came to my Grandmothers' machines....they have gone to good homes though! My machine has only one drawer and still has some of the attachments and a very tattered book.....interesting that my girlfriend just bought a Ruffler Foot for her very new Bernina and the workings are pretty much the same for the treadle....! How cute is your little grandson! Time with them is so precious...I was lucky enough to have all my grandies home on the weekend....doesn't happen very often so I cherish those times.....

Juryizstillout said...

Wow....I look all the time and can never find one! What a beauty! Congrats!

Quilter Kathy said...

Wow! That's a beautiful machine!
You must have been a really good girl for Santa to bring you that!!!
Have you sewn anything on it yet??