Sunday, July 20, 2008

Not much sewing these days...

Not much sewing happening here these days. I'm in the middle of mastering Adobe InDesign. I'm the new newsletter "editor" for the Capital Quilters Guild. I used MS Publisher for years, so this isn't so terribly different, just so much better! I have a Classroom in a Book, which is a week-long course, and have plowed my way through most of the lessons. I have the Photoshop book too but that has to wait. I have a deadline!

It's been fun. I think my brain needed a little exercise. I've created all the master pages with the banner, boxes and graphics that will get repeated each month and now I'm working on content. It's a long row to hoe since I have to keep looking things up online, in help, and in the book but it's going pretty smoothly even so. I'm sure The Tramp is breathing a sigh of relief that there haven't been any tantrums! LOL

So I've been pretty much stuck here on my stool for over a week (I sit at a counter). The view is great though, I get to watch the flowers grow and the birds frolic. Yesterday afternoon we had another rain storm, just about the time the daily afternoon avian feeding frenzy started. This is my view, over and around the monitors....


Do you see that little yellow ball of fluff by the window feeder? Here's a slightly better view.


Just as the rain was starting the male hummingbird started his patrolling again. This time he watched over the feeder from the Spirea bush. I am so pleased to get a good photo of him! :-)


Then as it started to rain harder, a male goldfinch came and perched on the windowsill. Because the bands of rain from the tropical storm were coming from the SE, this was a protected spot. (excuse the dirty window, the birds make a mess)


And he just sat....checking me out.


And his eyes started to close...


And then he tucked his head...


Tucked it tighter...


And completely shut out the world!


This house finch showed up but decided not to disturb him.


Now mind you. It's dark and rainy outside and I'm sitting right in front of the window in a well lit room. Mostly if I make a move the birds fly away. But here I was able to get out the big black camera and snap away at both birds. I had the camera nearly touching the glass part of the time! He just fluffed up and curled up tighter. :-)


So I just waited to see what would happen. And when he decided to wake up for a snack I got the camera and moved all around snapping more photos. Kind of neat.



This is my buddy who shares the counter with me. I couldn't leave him out. :-)

Good night!

3 comments:

meggie said...

Lovely post. Just loved seeing those birds, & the little yella fella all fluffed up! Who knew!

Amy said...

Now....those gold-finch photos are a first for me!!! How FUN it must have been to watch! (even though he wasn't moving much) ;0)

And way to push yourself to learn a new software! It's not always easy, but glad to see you having success. Oh.....are you sure only two monitors is enough????? *wink*...

Cathie said...

Hi Katie! Just thought I'd check in to see what you have been up to. Love your colorful quilt. How about a white border with multi-colored variegated thread quilting? Nice nature shots too!