Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Penance

For my sins, I just spent the better part of the evening recutting piles of triangles.  Sigh.

Thursday through Sunday I was at a beetreat in the mountains.  Before I left I got this t-shirt quilt delivered to Patchwork Memories so I could leave with a clear conscience!


I also sent off a birthday gift to Stardust.  I used indietutes pattern to make her a backpack out of the pinkest and sparkliest fabric I could find.  :-)


And inside I stuffed a couple of bunnies made from Bunny Hill's Snickerdoodles pattern.  I won the pattern from another blogger (but I can't remember who!).  So cute!


I received a photo of the backpack in action.  :-)


We left home Thursday morning in the rain.  We arrived in the rain.


Watched it rain almost all weekend.


And then left in the rain on Sunday.


But then that's excellent sewing weather.  Right?  The lodge was spacious and comfortable.  Since it was so dreary outside, the lighting left a bit to be desired but we stood some lamps on the big dining table and with our Ott Lights as well, we managed to get quite a lot of sewing done.


Cutting fabric and cooking happened in the kitchen.


Wonderful things like these delish crepes kept our stomachs happy.


The Bernina 830 Record performed like a trooper on it's first big outing.



These are blocks from Bonnie Hunter's My Blue Heaven quilt.  I made four blocks at a class with Bonnie at least three years ago.  This was my opportunity to get some more blocks done!


L finished this top on the weekend.


And all of us worked on this top, our donation to the guild's quilt auction in October.


I put the last three rows on this quilt top (Bonnie Hunter's Patches and Pinwheels) and I'm looking forward to working on the borders  I just love the look of this one.


Back home, the first thing I had to finish was another t-shirt quilt.


And this evening I took inventory of the My Blue Heaven bits and pieces.  On the weekend I got the 174 hourglass units put together.


At the retreat I got all 45 of the modified puss in the corner blocks put together, so this evening I started to work on the star blocks.  


Well.  Oh my.  Putting the first one together was such a struggle.  The half-square triangle units were odd sizes and the flying geese units were embarassingly wonky.  Out came the rulers to check against those blocks I made a few years ago.  Talk about wibbly wobbly sewing.  Ack!  So I got my Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers out and decided to check all my cut triangles.  Yikes!  What kind of a triangle is that???


 Was I drunk that day???  Holy cow!


Penance has been performed.  The piles of triangles are all now either trimmed to size or in the trash.   I'd like to think if I cut them today I'd have done a better job.  Hmmmmmmmmm.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

How nice to have a quilty weekend away with friends. Who cares about the weather when you are nice and warm sewing away to your heart;s content?

kt said...

Your tee shirt quilt is gorgeous! I would love some advise on making tee shirt quilts. I have stacks of quilting tee shirts and with retirement getting closer (thank goodness!!) I am thinking of practicing so that I can supplement my teacher's retirement pay. Any suggestions??